And here it be the anti Valentines thread to hide from what got into Azzy at the OMB. ;D For the record, Megalodon is a enormous shark. Soooo. who else hates Valentines day? Its not like anyone ever sends cards, flowers or chocolate to ME anyway (okay it might have to do with the fact that I would feed the flowers to the nearest herbivorous dinosaur as a snack and that I would use the card to light a BBQ but hey I'd eat the chocolate!) So Valentines day sucks. It does so every single year especially if you're in the middle of or in the afermath of your upteenth unanswered crush. So lets have a an ANTI Valentines day. I'd like to see some vicious humor to make any of us to whom love is a pain in the tail, crack UP, anyone up for it?
(Whew! Safe now!) I thought I'd be stuck in there forever! It was like being in the tar pits with all that syrupy valentines... Whatever it was (Trying to forget *cringe*)!
Anyway, I don't mind showing the one you love you love him or her; but to ruin it with commercialism...? I stopped sending valentine cards when I was five! No, you don't need to by your love chocolate or any other thing like that (Serving the sellers of this stuff all your money in the bargain.). If you both know it, then what's the sense to show it like that? (I find taking her on a picknick or day trip once in a while does wonders!) You don't need to buy them all kinds of things to show your love (Cept for those material girls who love thier blings! LOL!) ;D
I vote we ban valentines!
Sometimes I hide and watch... Sometimes I just hide!
Yeah well she can'T really help it... Being in love has this negative effect on anyone's Intelligence Quotient, she is doing remarkably well in all honesty. She hasn't ever gone this scary before and she has been in love with that guy she married for over 4 years... You have to give her credit for relative sanity given the circumstances... A splurge like this was bound to happen and long has Dinotopia been safe from Valentines day.
Then again if I did have a BF of course he would be allowed to stack my chocolate supplies every now and then. He wouldn't have to wait until any particular date for that kind of favor.
I never sent Valentines cards and never received any. My stephdad used to get mom some flowers but he's dead now so well, mom's first Valentines day in what, 20 years, without flowers. So much for the broken hearted... Don't really know what to dow ith it anyway.......... Mom's first valentines day as a widow..... And yet some think it is consumerism and diamonds that we need to live. Uhuh. Sure.
Post by thundertail on Feb 5, 2008 17:51:22 GMT -5
Oh, and that sending valentines cards when I was five...? That was in grade school, and they MADE you! (PS: watch out everybody! It's beginning to happen in RL, too! Stores now sporting cards, and media is advertising flowers and teddy bears and all kinds of sappy stuff to give! )
I think I'll hide under my bed! (Or take a flying leap into the Amu canyon...)
Sometimes I hide and watch... Sometimes I just hide!
Oh I hate V-Day as well. I have a few things to say about it.
Valentines Day sucks. I can hear you nodding and agreeing with me. But everyone hates Valentines Day in their own way.
How do we hate Valentines Day? Let me count the ways. Here’s the top ten.
1. Its too commercial. The whole idea of the holiday is to make profits for florists, greeting-card companies, candymakers, jewelers, and restaurants. When the spontaneity is gone, so is the romance.
2. My girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse is too materialistic. That girl you’ve been dating for a few months expects an engagement ring on Valentine’s Day. Your boyfriend thinks a card and a box of candy is going to buy him into your pants. Yes, its contrived, but greedy people are just as much to blame as the gift stores.
3. I give and give, and get nothing in return. For women, this often means you find the most personal, meaningful, and romantic gift possible. The kind of thing you’d like to receive. Except you don’t, because he doesn’t consider it as important as you do. For men, this means that her expectations are so high you’ll never completely please her, no matter what you do.
4. Its too cutesy and sappy and feminine. Mostly guys say this, but they are right. Pink hearts belong in a schoolgirl’s room. Valentines Day can send you into a diabetic shock.
5. I’m trying to stay unattached. Fear of commitment and all. This is normal, but hard to deal with when you’re surrounded by hearts and flowers and romance. On top of that, your mother is bugging you about getting a date for the holiday. Bah, humbug!
6. I have a new girlfriend/boyfriend, but its too soon to make any statements about love or commitment. The holiday pumps up the pressure. What if she/he makes some grand romantic gesture? How am I going to respond? A date on the stupid calendar can feel like an ultimatum!
7. I just escaped a bad relationship. You may be relieved, heartbroken, scard, lonely, broke, depressed or angry. The last thing you need is hearts and flowers.
8. I’m lonely. Like the poor kid with his nose mashed against the window, you’d like to take part in this magical ritual of love, but you don’t have the essential part -someone to be your valentine. Its hell to have the only desk at your workplace with no flowers or candy displayed.
9. I have a stalker. You’re desirable, alright. To a psycho who won’t take no for an answer. He/she thinks because you answered one email message, you two are now an “item”.
10. I hate holidays. I hate people. I hate February. Some people are just that way.
11) How about 'WTF, I already feel like crap just looking at all that is shown at the evening news, why the bloody hell rub it in by showing how fake, mangled out and commercialized our holidays are? And how did love become a synonym to sex, hilariously illustrated by your wonderful language having 'love' and 'TO love'. I find it a horrible linguistical shortcoming yet ironically illustrative of the zeitgeist. Oh the irony........ With any luck the porn on TV debate will still be raging for the whole month too. Yes you read that correctly, we (Netherlands, where else?), are having a media hype about a porn movie shown on a public broadcaster (whether it is or isn;t okay to do this as the publics are funded with tax money), naturally featuring many scenes of said movie printed on the front page of the paper or shown in the news......... *buries head in hands* Oh my poor little country by the sea... What went wrong?!?! As for love and money........ Nah not touching that one
Love IS a tarpit, falling into it is easy, often completely inavoidable, getting out of it, while occasionally being shoved back in by idiots who are so blinded by their own thickness they don't realise what it is they are doing. That taking away the handholds from someone who has climbed halfway out is kinda, just a teeny tad bit BAD. That you're already at the end of your strength and on't NEED more crap piled on top of it all. But people don't understand that.
As for parents expecting dates, with me its more that my little siblings act as if it'd kill them if I brought home a date. I don't want to traumatise them even further, they've been rough enough. Same for my mom, how can I fall in love when she is completely broken?
2. The guys I know don't need Valentines for that. Somehow on the extremely few occasions where a guy would bother notice me, it was THAT they were after. (Okay so I've had the grand total of two dates and one one month boyfriend, the joys of being sexually unattractive, where's that CAnyon again??)
4. Wholeheartely agree. Again I don't like the sappiness at all. Its creepy.
12. Unrecruited love for the less than beautiful hard working people who can't afford plastic surgery, get to try to fight the bitterness while watching other people with just as many flaws or more, get everything they need while you have tried so hard to be good, then try not to go bitter AND deal with ungrateful bitches moaning about their boyfriends's negligence. And no, its not allowed to pick up a railgun to shut them up. Love sucks soooo much I can't possibly tell you. Or when they guy you like prefers someone with bigger boobs. Pleaase kill me. Yes okay so I'm a little heartbroken, bear with me, come March we'll be free of it once more. I could deal with it quietly if it was only ONE day but now the torture has been thus extended.
Good thing the girls I know don't expect anything from me this valentines - I'm broke!
They are just friends I work with/ hang with sometimes anyway. We have a platonic relationship only, and that suits us all fine . Sometimes we help each other out, like I helped one move into thier apartment... or another when her car brioke down and needed a ride... or when my brother's dog was sick and he on vacation (One of my friends was a vet.), and she helped me at her office... THAT"S THE SIGN OF GOOD FRIENDSHIP - you don't need harps and flowers to prove you like someone!
(PS: take out your map of Dinotopia. The Amu canyon is right next to Canyon City...)
And as for the above, the girls I know don't expect anything from me this V-day. They know I'm broke! Maybe they'll invite ME to dinner! LOL! But I don't really expect anything, either!
Anyway, Barry's views I totally agree with (Except for the stalking part... Never had that experience before... ). Vorcha's views are also valid, and I hope she don't take this love thing too serious - nobody else does... evidentally!
With any luck we'll all make it through V.D. (Eww!), and pretty soon this sappy, stupid holiday will be over soon!
Sometimes I hide and watch... Sometimes I just hide!
Gimme ample preparation time and I could easily cook for this board gang here...... Like the saurkraut I'm having today is quite good and not hard to prepare. Too bad everyone lives so far away.
At work I spotted a cute little poster for the next Thursdayafternoonparty, planned on the 21st. Evidently its a Valentine/hangover party for the poster shows a very flat Cupid with his wings sticking out from under a beer glass, like an annoying wasp might be flattened if its been buzzing around your glass for too long. It made me smirk quite evilly.
Oh I know where the Amu Canyon is, I just dont want to take a flying leap into it. As for not taking the whole love thing too seriously, I TRY not to but well, I'm afraid girls brains and hormones just work in such a way that makes a girl think of these things more than is good or required... Like I already have the urge to find an online 'shoot Cupid' game and its only what, the 5th... Wonder what Dinotopian wine tastes like... Hmmm...